Over the past thirty-six days I've:
- cut 29,000 words and 111 pages (remember, 20 pages of that was endnotes)
- got rid of the whole "found manuscript" premise, the confession format, and everything to do with Marie-Agnès at the convent
- went through and streamlined the narrative. What DID I have against contractions??
- replaced the confessional letters with longer chapters
- wrote a prologue and an epilogue
- restructured the first chapter
- minimized the role of certain minor characters
- chopped an entire chapter because it didn't advance Isabelle's story (at least 20 pages in one fell swoop)
- came up with a new title
I think I've done good work here. I want the story to be the best that it can, and it's very nearly there, which is good, because I'm back to work tomorrow. There are a few publishers who said they'd be willing to look at the manuscript again. Let's hope they like it!